Earlier this month I wrote a post on My thoughts on the news of a church flying Christian flag over American flag in which I argued about how much a non-story it was for the media to pick up on it, among other things. On Sunday some Conservative alternative source of news mentioned about the City of Reno flying the Gay Rainbow flag in place of the American flag over their city hall. The city has since taken down the gay flag and put back the American flag and the mayor has issued an apology.
I think this ought to be a bigger news story than the one about the church flying a Christian flag above the American flag. This is the civil government we are talking about and not some non-government organization.
I thought it was interesting Huffington post has a story on “Pastor Flies Christian Flag Above American Flag To Protest Gay Marriage” but if you do a search on their page for “Reno flag” you won’t find anything.
Now I don’t want to make too much about flags per se but I think all the news about flags definitely reveal the hearts of people and where our society is going.
Think of how Obama had the White House glow at night with the the colors of the Rainbow flag soon after the Supreme Court supported same-sex so called marriages but take days before the White House flag was half-mast for the dead Marines and Sailor killed in Tennessee.
By their flags you will know them.
Posted in Christian flag, Christianity, Flags, Homeosexual Agenda | 14 Comments »
This is part 2 in looking at the images and analogies the Bible gives in describing the church. We are looking at these motif to draw out the implications for readers to see the importance of the church in our own lives in light of how important the church is in God’s eyes.
God sees the church as a body
- The Bible describe Christ relationship to the Church as head to the body
- “He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.” (Colossians 1:18)
- As the head Christ controls the rest of the church which is His body.
- Note also how this analogy drives Paul to suffer for the church (Colossians 1:24)
- Other passages: Ephesians 1:23, 2:15.
- Picture: Health is important; today’s fitness industry reveals our culture’s obsession with being fit:
- “The IHRSA also reported that the total revenue in the fitness industry reached $21.8 billion in 2012.[xv] This is a significant increase from the $20.3 billion made in 2010 by the industry.[xvi] Since 2008, health club memberships rose by 10%, while the number of non-member patrons also increased by 5%.[xvii] This particular number went up from 7.7 million patrons in 2008 to 8.3 in 2012. [xviii]”
- Another website noted that there’s 29, 501 businesses with 573,328 people working in this industry.
- “…over 60% of Americans regularly participate in fitness sports as of 2012.[xix] This is the fifth consecutive year in which these numbers have remained stable at 60% or more[xx]. This goes to show that the fitness trend is not going away soon in America and the fitness industry is only going to grow stronger each year. All in all, fitness is a profitable industry in the US and the numbers will only continue to rise.”
- If people are willing to go all out to take care of God’s temple that the Lord has given them how more so should they care and prioritize the church, the body of Christ! Do you value the body of Christ?
- In the end it comes down to the issue of love because that’s what can sustain you to be selfless and sacrificial for imperfect people in the church; do you have the Love of God in your life?
- Practice your spiritual gifts (Romans 12:4-5)!
- Don’t treat the church as a bad gym membership: You go once a year, merely to pay your dues.
- Become a member: “because we are members of His body” (Ephesians 5:30); explanation of church membership class.
Posted in Biblical Motif of the Church, Body of Christ, Christianity, Church, Reformed, Theology | 5 Comments »
This is a post that I forgot to share before I posted our Index to Veritas Domain’s Marathon Series on the Christian Response to Homosexuality. Be sure to check out that post for more resources concerning the issue of homosexuality and the Bible.
Fred Butler alerted me to this resource over at his blog. Don Green, a long time pastor at John MacArthur’s Church (Grace Community) and leader at Grace to You Broadcast is now pastoring as a senior Pastor at Truth Community Church. They have recently completed a conference on the topic of the Bible and Homosexuality in which they are calling the church to have a courageous confidence in Christ.
The nice thing is that they have made the audios to this conference available for the world on their website here.
Here’s the sessions linked to the audios:
1. Refuting the Five Myths on Homosexuality
2. Why Homosexuality is Wrong
3. Scripture, Shellfish, and Homosexual Sin
4. Addressing the Heart of Same-Sex Attraction
5. The Future of the Church and Homosexuality
I have benefited from Don Green’s preaching in the past. May this edify God’s people.
Posted in Apologetic Links, christian apologetics, Christian worldview, Christianity, Don Green, Grace Community Church, Grace to You, Homeosexual Agenda, Reformed, Theology | 13 Comments »
Mat Johnson. Incognegro. New York, NY: Veritgo Comics, February 6th, 2008. 136 pp.
May there be more graphic novel like this. Good story, illustrations that’s easy on the eyes, suspenseful with humor that carries the readers along through the dark historical mystery. The story is situated during a time in American history in which lynching was done in the South. The graphic novels tells the story of an African American news reporter who is Black but looks white. He goes down to the South to report on the racist lynching that takes place for his Harlem based newspaper. The story is loosely based upon real NAACP undercover investigator which made the story even more interesting. The story has pretty good twists and turns which makes this a great mystery novel. I enjoyed it and recommend it.
Posted in Book Review, Mat Johnson, worldview dilemmas in movies and comics | 3 Comments »
Planned Parenthood is a wicked organization. May God cut their fundings, close down the organization and have their executives go to jail.
Here’s a recent video exposing them:
Posted in Abortion, planned parenthood, Pro-Life, The Center for Medical Progress | 14 Comments »