The Resolved Conference has closed registration for the February 16 to 19, 2007 Conference in Long Beach, CA.
The Resolved Conference is based off the 70 Resolutions Johnathan Edwards made for himself when he was 19 years old. You can find the 70 Resolutions listed as #10 bullet from my post or just click here to go directly to the 70 Resolutions.
Upon reading, the following resolutions stuck out to me:
- 3. Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.
- 8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God. July 30.
- 11. Resolved, when I think of any theorem in divinity to be solved, immediately to do what I can towards solving it, if circumstances do not hinder.
- 24. Resolved, whenever I do any conspicuously evil action, to trace it back, till I come to the original cause; and then, both carefully endeavor to do so no more, and to fight and pray with all my might against the original of it.
- 37. Resolved, to inquire every night, as I am going to bed, wherein I have been negligent,- what sin I have committed,-and wherein I have denied myself;-also at the end of every week, month and year. Dec. 22 and 26, 1722.
- 38. Resolved, never to speak anything that is ridiculous, sportive, or matter of laughter on the Lord’ s day. Sabbath evening, Dec. 23, 1722.
- 41. Resolved, to ask myself, at the end of every day, week, month and year, wherein I could possibly, in any respect, have done better. Jan. 11, 1723.
- 62. Resolved, never to do anything but duty, and then according to Ephesians 6:6-8, to do it willingly and cheerfully as unto the Lord, and not to man:‹knowing that whatever good thing any man doth, the same shall he receive of the Lord.Š June 25 and July 13, 1723.
- 65. Resolved, very much to exercise myself in this, all my life long, viz. with the greatest openness, of which I am capable of, to declare my ways to God, and lay open my soul to him: all my sins, temptations, difficulties, sorrows, fears, hopes, desires, and every thing, and every circumstance; according to Dr. Manton’ s 27th Sermon on Psalm 119. July 26, and Aug.10 1723.
I was curious to see if anyone had a copy of Dr. Manton’s sermon listened to by Johnathan Edwards mentioned in resolution 65. I couldn’t find any but I did find a website that had a diary of Johnathan Edwards when he listened to the sermon. It must’ve affected him a lot, because he mentions it twice in two seperate diary entries: July 20th and July 26th.
Resolution 11 really struck a chord in me, because I recently told a friend that I seemed good at finding questions, but no answers and that finding answers take a long time. Perhaps I should strengthen my efforts to find answers.