Have you ever heard of the “Scarlet Thread through the Bible?” Its the idea that the theme of the blood of Christ runs through the entire Bible including the Old Testament. Studying Scripture and its typology is beautiful and boosts one’s faith in the Word of God. The famous preacher W.A. Crisswell has preached a famous sermon with the same title which has been also made into a book that’s available for free on PDF if you click HERE.
My mother in Law shared with me over email about the scarlet thread throughout the Bible and it got me thinking. Have you ever realized there is a scarlet thread through soteriology (the doctrines of salvation)?
- Christ’s blood justifies us: “Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.“(Romans 5:9)
- Christ’s blood is the basis for propitiation which means satisfying the wrath of God: “whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed;” (Romans 3:25)
- Christ’s blood redeems us:
- “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace” (Ephesians 1:7).
- Christ’s blood purchase us: “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.” (Acts 20:28)
- Christ’s blood draws us near to God: “remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.” (Ephesians 2:12-13)
- Christ’s blood gives us peace: “For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.” (Colossians 1:19-20)
- Christ’s blood is for our sanctification: “Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people through His own blood, suffered outside the gate.” (Hebrews 13:12).
- How? Christ’s blood purifies our conscience: “For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?” (Hebrews 9:13-14)
- How? Christ’s blood cleanses us: “but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7).
What a precious Savior who saves us through His blood!