Here is the first part that that I would like to provide to our readers. This material is what I used when I was counseling someone in the past that struggled with depression. It is not exhaustive, but I hope that it will be helpful in some small measure.
HEART ON THE TABLE
- To take every thought captive to Christ (2 Cor. 10:5).
- To be complete in Christ (Col. 1:28)
- To trust and obey (Rom. 12:14-21)
- To mortify idols in your heart (Col. 3:5-11)
- To worship the Lord with holy joy (Jeremiah 15:16)
Before we even start, I believe that it is imperative that prayer is the necessarily step to be taken first. Prayer is a gift from God that He grants to us. As a gift from God, it should be used with great joy. As you eat food with great joy because it sustains life, so too should prayer be utilized with great joy because it sustains our spiritual lifeline. But before one takes a step into the holy of holies via prayer, one must be careful praying before a holy God. A holy mentality is much needed when it comes to fighting sin. Please read Psalm 51 to see David’s example of having a holy mentality in conjunction with prayer when it comes to fighting sin. The setting of Psalm 51 takes place after David committed adultery and murdered Bathsheba’s husband.
In lieu of having a holy mentality when praying to God, we need to understand that prayer is not only important because it is our spiritual lifeline, but our Lord and Savior expects us to pray. And since He is our Lord and Savior—that is enough for us to take seriously. Here are a couple of phrases from a couple of verses where Jesus expects us to pray: Matt. 6:5, “When you pray…”; Matt. 6:6, “But you, when you pray…”; Matt. 6:7, “And when you are praying…”; Matt. 6:9, “Pray, then, in this way…”; Lk. 11:9, “So I say to you, ask…; seek…; knock…” Lk 18:1, “Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray….” Other verses in the Bible that is very clear concerning prayer is Col. 4:2 and 1 Thess. 5:17. Col. 4:2 says, “Devote yourselves to prayer…”; and 1 Thess. 5:17 says, “Pray without ceasing….”
Genuine prayers allow one to take every thought captive, be complete in Christ, to learn how to better trust and obey, mortify idols, and to express our joy to the Lord.
PART 1: Hear God’s Word concerning your sin.
In 2 Timothy 4:1-2, Paul instructs young Timothy to preach the Word. It is evident that when the Word is preached, there is a hearer. Hearing the Word of God was a crucial element in Old Testament and New Testament times, and is crucial now. God’s word helps us better understand God and His will for us.
Please listen to two sermons during this week and write down any notes that convicted you. You will need a journal. Since God has gifted the church with teachers and pastors, it is important to learn from them. For the first sermon, please listen to Martyn Lloyd-Jones’ sermon called, “Mind; Heart and Will.” Here is the link: http://www.mljtrust.org/sermons/mind-heart-and-will/
For the second sermon, please listen to Pastor Martyn Lloyd-Jones’ sermon called, “That One Sin.” Here is the link: http://www.mljtrust.org/sermons/that-one-sin/
- Please summarize each sermon in your own words. You do not have to write an essay. A paragraph per sermon would be great.
- What truths from the sermons impacted you (please provide a paragraph for each sermon)?
- After reading Hebrews 5:11-14, please describe what time of listener you were during your episode of depression. Were you a bored listener or a joyful listener? If you were either a bored listener or joyful listener, please explain why.
- In lieu of Hebrews 5:11-14, were you a milk drinker or solid food eater during the time of your episode of depression?
- When you had depression (blues), did you wanted to remain as a milk drinker or solid food eater? Please explain why.
- Please list down the specific sins that you need to put to death in your current life.
- Please provide the biblical steps that you want to begin now in order to battle sin effectively.
- Please list down how you are going to subdue depression when it becomes difficult.
- Are you willing to take the necessary steps to put depression to death in your life after hearing God’s message about sin? Why or why not? Please explain.